I think I have found a doctor who specializes in treating endometriosis. What questions should I ask at my first appointment?
Technically, there is no sub-speciality for “endometriosis specialist”, so it can be difficult to find a skilled doctor who will be able to offer the expert help women with endometriosis require. Women with endometriosis may need to see several different doctors across various specialties to find one who will have the expert skills and knowledge necessary for successful treatment.
When interviewing doctors, answers to these basic questions can give you an idea of how knowledgeable and skilled the physician might be when it comes to endometriosis.
Ask your doctor:
- How many cases of endometriosis do you treat monthly?
- How do you diagnosis endometriosis?
- What surgical options do you offer?
- What method of removing endometriosis do you use?
- What can I do to help control my endometriosis symptoms?
- Which medications might make me feel better?
- What are your thoughts on Lupron and similar medications?
- Which options that you offer have provided the best long term results for your patients?
- How many of your patients with endometriosis deal with recurrence of the disease?
- Does a hysterectomy cure endometriosis?
- Does an oophorectomy cure endometriosis?
- Are there alternatives I can try besides medications or surgery?